Fullerton California History
In 1963, Orange County State College changed its name and moved to its current location in Fullerton, California, and was renamed California State University, Fullerton. In 1965, the first continuously operated community college in the state of California was founded at the former Orange City College in Orange, CA, with about 1,000 students and more than 200 faculty and staff enrolled. In 1963, it moved to its current location and was renamed California State, University of Fullerton, in honor of its namesake.
Fullerton would become one of the largest and most successful community colleges in the state of California, with hopes that it would one day become California State University, the University of Fullerton's second-largest campus.
American veterans emigrated to California and bought land for development that destroyed surrounding agriculture and the park. Fullerton's population soared when they bought land in neighboring Anaheim. The population and housing have increased by an order of magnitude, as has the population growth that it has experienced.
Like many other parts of California, the city of Fullerton has been growing at a steady pace for some time. By the end of the 19th century, it had just over 1,000 residents, or about 1 percent of Orange County's total population. Like most Orange County at the time, agriculture became the community's leading industry. The municipality had orange groves, but what distinguished it was the fact that it had none, at least until the end of the 19th century.
The grove was still known as Bastanchury Ranch and was operated by the Orange County Fruit Company, one of the largest orange groves in the country. Fullerton was also home to the first professional hockey team in Southern California, the Fullerton Flyers, formerly known as the San Fernando Valley Flyers and later the Los Angeles Flyers. They performed at five concerts a year and were the second most popular hockey club in California at the time, behind only the Santa Ana Flyers in San Francisco.
Secondly, COPH provides support and services for public history projects it conducts and supports, especially those intended to share oral histories. These projects include projects that not only tell the stories of Southern California, but also connect these stories in a national and global context.
Ultimately, COPH seeks to combine the strengths of oral history and public history to create a community, local, national and global, that can be held together through its outreach, education, research and outreach. This dual mission is accepted by the staff of the organization, volunteers and members of the public, as well as their donors.
The arboretum is located on CSU-owned land in the city of Fullerton, California, on the west side of the San Gabriel Mountains. The northern and western parts of Fullerton are dominated by a low-lying mountain range divided by the Santa Ana Mountains, the largest of its kind in Southern California. This land, nestled between it and the Coyote Canyon National Wildlife Refuge, is known as Sunny Hills. It borders Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State Long Beach and San Diego State University, among others.
Spanish expedition in 1769, when Gaspar de Portola led them north to Monterey the Europeans crossed today's Fullerton and got a first impression of what was to become. He later bought 6,000 acres northwest of Fullerton and began selling parcels of Rancho to American immigrants who settled and developed in California after the 1849 gold rush, including Abel Stearns of Massachusetts.
From the beginning, two brothers, George and Edward Amerige, who founded Santa Ysabel Ranch, the first citrus farm in Orange County, offered a lot of land to the pioneering citrus and avocado industry in Orange County. Fullerton had the largest orange groves in the state and one of the largest citrus farms in the world, and the orange was advertised at Santa Ysidro Ranch and proved a boon to producers.
The Meyer-Holler also built many film studios, and it is said that they may have been responsible for the architectural design of the early entertainment industry in Southern California. The period from 1910 to 1950 marked the beginning of the California Mediterraneum, a period in which no other Southern California city was characterized by elegant architecture ranging from the Beaux Arts movement to striking California Mediterranean architecture, which was itself surrounded by idyllic farms and parks. It was the source of numerous major productions and home to many of California's first professional sports teams, including the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Chargers.
The city was also home to one of the few Southern California communities served by a fully independent newspaper, the Fullerton Observer. The city signed a lease with the Los Angeles County Municipal Airport, which was founded shortly after and is now the largest airport in the United States and the second largest in California. In 2010, both the City of Fullerton and Orange County Register complied with the newspaper's request to sue. However, she had to stop in order to prove herself as a newspaper and to drop her application for a court order.